[Haskell-cafe] Problems building lambdabot on osx

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 17:59:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 21:38, Adam Turoff <adam.turoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, there's the issue with linking against libiconv, which is solved
> this
> way:
>
>        cabal install --extra-lib-dirs=/usr/lib
>
> That leaves a whole mess of link errors against libHSreadline:

Yes, because now it's finding the system readline, which isn't actually
readline (Apple ships a "readline" which is actually BSD "editline", so you
get missing symbols for things editline doesn't support such as completion).
 I think you'll need to temporarily deactivate MacPorts' iconv instead of
using --extra-lib-dirs.

This can't really be fixed by either GHC or MacPorts; there doesn't seem to
be a good solution as yet, although the MacPorts folks may end up
implementing a hacky solution because Apple has introduced *another*
MacPorts-breaking library conflict in Lion (libnotify).