[Haskell-cafe] trouble using the aeson package

anonymous qubital at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 05:55:36 CEST 2011

I recently installed the aeson package using cabal-install without any
❲~❳ uname -rspi; cabal -V; ghc -V; ghc-pkg list | grep
Linux 2.6.38-10-generic x86_64 x86_64
cabal-install version 0.10.2
using version of the Cabal library
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.3

However when I try to use it I receive this error message:
λ> let f = Data.Aeson.String
stdc++ (libstdc++.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or

This is the version I have installed:
❲~❳ aptitude search stdc++ | grep ^i
i   libstdc++6                      - The GNU Standard C++ Library
i A libstdc++6-4.4-dev              - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
i   libstdc++6-4.5-dev              - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3

❲~❳ aptitude show libstdc++6-4.4-dev | head -n 4
Package: libstdc++6-4.4-dev
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 4.4.5-15ubuntu1