[Haskell-cafe] QuickCheck Questions

Øystein Kolsrud kolsrud at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 20:21:29 CEST 2011

Hi! I usually use the function 'sized' for this. The function would look
something like this:

myIntGen :: Gen Int
myIntGen = sized $ \n -> choose (0,f n)

where 'f' is a function that uses the size value to generate an upper value
for your random range. I usually use ^2 or sqrt or something like that
depending on my needs.

Hope it helps!

Best regards, Øystein

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Mark Spezzano <mark.spezzano at chariot.net.au
> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the response. The first part works well with minor
> modifications.
>
> Part 2 is still a bit vague to me. I basically want to "clamp" the Integers
> generated within the Queue to between 0 and some positive number. At present
> they're giving me numbers all over the place (specifically negative number)
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark
>

> On 25/07/2011, at 4:44 AM, Kevin Quick wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 07:30:56 -0700, Mark Spezzano <
> mark.spezzano at chariot.net.au> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction
> with the following problem.
> >>
> >> I'm deliberately implementing a naive Queues packages that uses finite
> lists as the underlying representation. I've already read through Hughes'
> paper and the article in The Fun of Programming, but I'm still having some
> difficulties. Specifically:
> >>
> >> 1. I have a newtype Queue a = Queue [a] and I want to generate Queues of
> random Integers that are also of random size. How do I do this in
> QuickCheck? I guess that  I need to write a generator and then make my
> "Queue a" concrete type an instance of Arbitrary? How?
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > One of the great things about QuickCheck is that it is automatically
> compositional.
> > What I mean by this is that all you need in your instance is how to form
> a "Queue [a]" given "[a]", because there are already QuickCheck instances
> for forming lists, and as long as a is pretty standard (Integers is fine)
> then there's likely an Arbitrary instance for that as well.
> >
> > So (from my head, not actually tested in GHC):
> >
> > import Control.Applicative
> > import Test.QuickCheck
> >
> > instance Arbitrary Queue where
> >   arbitrary = Queue <$> arbitrary
> >
> > Then you can use this as:
> >
> > testProperty "length is something" propQInts
> >
> > propQInts t = length t == ....
> >    where types = (t :: Queue Integers)
> >
> > The where clause is a fancy way of specifying what the type of t should
> be without having to express the overall type of propQInts.  You could use a
> more conventional type specification as well.
> >

> >> 2. If I wanted to specify/constrain the ranges of random Integers
> generated, how would I do this?
> >
> > Probably something like this:
> >
> > instance Arbitrary Queue where
> >    arbitrary = do li <- listOf $ arbitrary
> >                  lr <- liftM $ map rangelimit li
> >                  return $ Queue lr
> >                where rangelimit n = case (n < LOW, n > HIGH) of
> >                                       (True,_) -> LOW
> >                                       (_,True) -> HIGH
> >                                       _ -> n
> >

> >> 3. If I wanted to specify/constrain the Queue sizes how would I do this?
> >
> > Similar to #2.  Perhaps:
> >
> >   arbitrary = arbitrary >>= (return . Queue . take CNT . listOf)
> >

> > --
> [...]

Mvh Øystein Kolsrud