[Haskell-cafe] Regular Expression Parsing via derivatives

Alex Clemmer clemmer.alexander at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:51:49 CEST 2011

Hi Haskell people,

I've been snooping through various mailing lists and the current Haskell
implementation of regular expressions and I was wondering if there has been
a discussion about implementing regex parsing with derivatives. If so, I
haven't seen it. If not, I'd like to have a discussion about it -- if for no
other reason than to decide whether I should implement it as a library, or
(to attempt to implement it) as a core feature.

For those of you who don't know, recent work by Might and
Darais<http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.5023>indicates that parsing CFGs can
be done better (
*i.e.*, significantly faster) than more "traditional"
approaches<http://swtch.com/%7Ersc/regexp/regexp1.html>.
Might's presenting at ICFP later in September about it.

I guess the first thing I should ask is, which mailing list is actually the
right place to field this inquiry. I considered dropping it in the main
haskell list, but wasn't sure how people would respond.

--
Alex