[Haskell-cafe] Python is lazier than Haskell

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr
Wed Apr 27 15:07:45 CEST 2011

> Thomas Davie wrote:
>> This completely misses what laziness gives Haskell – it gives a way of completing a smaller number of computations than it otherwise would have to at run time. (...)
Tony Morris continues the ping-pong:
> This is not what laziness gives us. Rather, it gives us terminating
> programs that would otherwise not terminate.
Next, please...

You know, this suggests that you should read the parable of Blind Men
and the Elephant.

Alright, my turn. I never wanted to write non-terminating programs (what
for?), and all my programs executed exactly those instructions they
should have executed, not more or less. I see ONE usage of laziness: the
possibility to write co-recursive equations, which become algorithms.
The possibility to represent processes as "data", which makes it easier
to reason upon them. Do we really need some dogmatic specification of
laziness?...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk