[Haskell-cafe] A small Darcs anomoly

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:42:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:35 AM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 April 2011 13:16, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2. I have no idea how to make Darcs do the thing with "hard links" (is
> that
> > even supported under Windows?) I just copy the whole folder using the
> normal
> > OS file tools.
>
> darcs get path/to/other/local/repo

More specifically than that.  This is the workflow I follow with darcs
repos.  Say, that I want to get the Foo repo:
mkdir ~/repos/Foo
cd ~/repos/Foo
darcs get http://example.com/Foo HEAD
darcs get HEAD feature-branch

Then I can send the patches from feature-branch to the official Foo repo at
any time.  I can also merge them back into HEAD doing a darcs pull from
feature-branch to HEAD.

I think this is quite comparable to the git workflow.

> > Either way, you lose the ability to see how branches are related to each
> > other, which might be useful in some cases.
>
> How do you "see" how git branches are related to each other?

You can use gitk to see how the histories have interacted.

Jason