[Haskell-cafe] Is Hugs dead?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat Apr 23 06:05:49 CEST 2011

On 4/22/11 8:16 AM, Robert Clausecker wrote:
> Some weeks ago, I mirrored the hugs repo to github.
> (https://github.com/fuzxxl/Hugs) This was, when I found out, that the
> last commit was about 2 years ago. Also, since some of the dependencies
> moved, I was unable to build hugs.
>
> Now my question is: Is Hugs dead? What's the status of development of
> hugs?

Alas, Hugs appears to be well and truly dead. Sept2006 seems to be the
last official release, and the bugs I've posted for Cabal/cabal-install
support seem to have a priority hovering around _|_.

You can get an unofficial Feb2009 release from the corehugs[1] project
that forked off in 2008. Unfortunately corehugs seems to be dead too
(along with the Yhc it was forked to work with).

Tis a shame to see all those projects go. It'd be nice to have a simple,
portable Haskell interpreter for shell scripting, embedded machines, etc.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/corehugs/

--
Live well,
~wren