[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Apr 22 09:46:31 CEST 2011

Jason Dagit schrieb:

>         * Every commit needs --ask-deps , because the automatic
>           dependency detector can only detect automatic changes (and not
>           things like adding a new function in a different module)
>

> You mean it can only detect dependencies that depend on each other with
> respect to a diff of the changes.  Detecting most anything else would be
> undecidable in the general case.  As a divergent data point, I've been
> using darcs since 2003 and I have yet to use --ask-deps except to learn
> how it works.

I think that other version control systems just assume that a new patch
depends on _all_ existing patches.

Mentally I am still comparing Darcs with Subversion, that is, what my
colleagues use. Thus I am even happy with Darcs-1. :-) Sure, sometimes I
have to re-record several patches, when I forgot to download latest
patches from a repository before recording my own ones. My rule of thumb
is, that I must avoid merges at all costs.