[Haskell-cafe] Why not Darcs?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Fri Apr 22 00:56:38 CEST 2011

Andrew Coppin wrote:

> I'm sure this must be a VFAQ, but... There seems to be universal
> agreement that Darcs is a nice idea, but is unsuitable for "real"
> projects.

I not sure what constitues a "real" project, but I have found
Darcs to be more than satisfactory for Ben Lippmeier's DDC
compiler project. Thats 50k lines of Haskell code with a commit
history of 2500+ commits.

I also do use other VCSs, in order of frequency Bzr, SVN, Git Darcs
and Hg. However, my order of preference is Bzr, Darcs, Hg, Git and
then SVN.

The only reason I slight prefer Bzr over Darcs is that Bzr has a
slightly easier and more intuitive (at least for me) user interface.
However, I do find Bzr (written in Python) slightly fragile in that
I ocassionally get a huge Python backtrace when something blows up

Erik