[Haskell-cafe] ANN: bindings to xfconf-4.8.0.0

John Obbele john.obbele at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 20:23:57 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce my first hackageDB package: xfconf[0], a
Haskell binding to the XFCE xfconfd configuration dæmon.

It's mainly a pet project I have done to learn Haskell using the
FFI and QuickCheck but if someone can find it useful or
instructive I would be happy.

This package allows easy access to your favorite XFCE desktop settings
(wallpaper, colors, police, etc.) and easier synchronisations between
the configuration backend and your own Gtk+2 widget properties (a
feature missing in gconf but now part of gsettings).

A practical use of this binding can be found in hThemes[1], a
quick&dirty front-end to switch between pre-defined desktop themes (eg.
switching from a light-white theme for daytime to a dark-black one for
your nightly hack sessions).

[0.a]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/xfconf
[0.b]: http://patch-tag.com/r/obbele/xfconf/home
[1]:   http://patch-tag.com/r/obbele/hThemes/home

Thanks to Andy Stewart and Axel Simon for their help in integrating
xfconf to the gtk2hs stack.

Any comments on this first work are welcomed ,-)

regards,
/John