[Haskell-cafe] Debugging with gdb?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:25:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Svante Signell
<svante.signell at telia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I don't know anything about Haskell, can I make a stupid question: Is
> there any method to create debug symbols for a Haskell program, and is
> it possible to debug with gdb?

You can run gdb on a Haskell program, but it's unlikely you'll learn
anything useful unless you're a compiler writer trying to debug your
compiler or runtime system.

ghci (the interactive version of GHC) has a built-in debugger that may
be the closest thing to what you're used to with gdb. There is also a
small cottage industry of debuggers that are more tailored to the
process of debugging a functional program.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"an intelligent person fights for lost causes,realizing that others