[Haskell-cafe] Request for library recommendations

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Apr 13 04:07:19 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm currently scoping out a project for work that I'd like to do
in Haskell. Basically its a HTTP proxy (ie like the Squid proxy)
but with a few wrinkles:

 - Since the connecting clients are untrusted, the incoming
   connection is HTTP, the header is modified by the proxy to
   add BasicAuth (credentials known only to the proxy, not the
   client) and then forwared upstream with responses pass back
   to the client.

 - Needs to work via upstream Squid proxy (so this proxy needs to
   be able to requirest a CONNECT from the upstream Squid proxy).

 - In some cases, the client will POST via the proxy and
   immediately exit and the proxy will be required to re-try the
   POST if it fails.

 - Other manipulation of headers and data.

I am aware that Squid can satisfy the first two requirements above
but not all the others (without actually hacking the Squid code base).

I have done stuff like this before in C++ and Ocaml, so the mechanics
are not a mystery. However I would like as much as possible to make
use of existing Haskell libraries to cut down the development time.

Performance is also not critical, so as long as the Haskell version
can beat a hypothetical Python implementation I'd be happy.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Erik