[Haskell-cafe] Current heap size and other runtime statistics -- API for accessing in GHC?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 12 20:28:30 CEST 2011

On 11/04/2011 12:52 AM, Don Stewart wrote:
> I'd like a proper FFI binding for getting at Stats.c dynamically. So I
> can write programs that determine their own stats about the GC and so
> on.

I have often wished that there was a much bigger API for interacting
with the RTS. Currently, you can query how many capabilities there are,
and you can request a (magor?) GC cycle. And that's *it*.

One can imagine a far richer API, with the ability to do things like set
and query RTS flags, query the GHC version number and RTS "way", ask how
much RAM is allocated to what, request a minor or magor GC, try to
release RAM to the OS, pre-allocate RAM from the OS because you're about
to use it, find out how many threads are running or how many sparks are
queued, and so on.

Of course, I doubt anyone is going to implement it anytime soon...