[Haskell-cafe] already installed packages alerted as not being installed

Daniel Kahlenberg d.kahlenberg at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:30:53 CEST 2011

Ingenious,

finally it is possible at least with the help of those two tools
cabal-dev and cab to build the threadscope executable on Windows
linked against gtk+-bundle_2.22.1-20101227_win32 version, thanks again
to their developers.

[Note to myself]
How I did,

1) as described in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/gtk2hs/ticket/1203#comment:2 edited
each Gtk2HsSetup.hs file
2) In a mingw+msys shell (tar is needed, how to install -> I strongly
recommend using mingw-get-inst:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/
to mention at a first place, you can easily add things then with the
bundled mingw-get command) did

   pushd /h/.homedir

   cabal-dev add-source /h/.homedir/gtk2hs-buildtools-0.12.0/
/h/.homedir/glib-0.12.0/ /h/.homedir/cairo-0.12.0/
/h/.homedir/gio-0.12.0/ /h/.homedir/glade-0.12.0/
/h/.homedir/pango-0.12.0/ /h/.homedir/gtk-0.12.0/

   cab install threadscope --sandbox=/h/.homedir/cabal-dev

To be honest the last command I even run at the Windows cmd.exe prompt.

This all means h:/.homedir/cabal-dev contains the formerly broken
dependencies sources patched by my edits in the .cabal files. It is
used (--sandbox parameter) as a first repository for building
threadscope later on, the other dependencies are loaded remotely by
demand.

The reason for breaking with cabal I could see as mentioned above by Kazu, with:

   cab install threadscope -n

threadscope needed different versions than the dependencies
pre-installed with my former gtk2hs installation trial had.

Cheers
Daniel