[Haskell-cafe] Local copy of hackageDB

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Apr 7 12:06:59 CEST 2011

José Pedro Magalhães wrote:
> Thanks, but I don't really need a functional server or anything; I just want
> to have a local copy of Hackage on disk (latest versions only will do) and
> tell cabal-install to use that instead of the web.

If you have the package tarball, you can unpack it manually
and then type "cabal install" (with no package name) inside that
directory.

> Regarding yackage, I don't think I can open ports on that machine either...

You don't need to open the port. With the -l flag yackage
only uses the port on localhost. There are sometimes problems
with that in the latest version, but that will be fixed in the next
release.

But anyway, it sounds like you indeed may not need a server at all.

Regards,
Yitz