[Haskell-cafe] 'Progress bar' enumeratee

David Hotham david.hotham at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 21:21:37 CEST 2011

The desired behaviour (certainly my desired behaviour, but I think also the
most useful behaviour generally) is that the enumeratee passes n bytes to
its iteratee, prints a dot, and repeats.

Given that, printing the dots all in one bunch after passing bytes to the
iteratee isn't any improvement over printing the dots all in one bunch
before passing them to the iteratee.

I think that mostly I want it the way that I want it because that's the bit
that I struggled most over and I'm now reluctant to give it up!  However
this might actually make a useful difference to behaviour in the case of an
iteratee that did very expensive processing, or that itself performed IO.
In such cases, my behaviour could be expected to give a more accurate
indication of how far through processing we'd actually got.

David

PS Yes, I already tried out the code ;-).  You'll see that both of my
versions did indeed hFlush stdout.

news:20110406182931.0238561f at angst.streitmacht.eu...