[Haskell-cafe] Encoding of Haskell source files

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 16:24:13 CEST 2011

If by "insist", you mean the standard insist that implementations support
UTF-8 by default.

The rest of the standard already just talks about sequences of unicode
characters, so I don't see much to be gained by prohibiting other encodings.

In particular, I have read that systems set up for east asian scripts
often use UTF-16 as a default encoding.

Brandon