[Haskell-cafe] Encoding of Haskell source files

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Mon Apr 4 14:47:06 CEST 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:30:08 +0100, you wrote:

>Windows APIs use UTF-16...

The newer ones, at least. The older ones usually come in two flavors,
UTF-16LE and 8-bit code page-based.

>...but the encoding of files (which is the relevant point here) is
>almost uniformly UTF-8 - though of course you can find legacy apps
>making other choices.

If you're talking about files written and read by the operating system
itself, then perhaps. But my experience is that there are a lot of
applications that use UTF-16LE, especially ones that typically only work
with smaller files (configuration files, etc.).

As for Haskell, I would still vote for UTF-8 only, though. The only
reason to favor anything else is legacy compatibility with existing
Haskell source files, and that isn't really an issue here.

-Steve Schafer