[Haskell-cafe] Encoding of Haskell source files

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Apr 4 14:47:06 CEST 2011

Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> writes:

> My guess is that a large subset of Haskell modules start with one of left
> brace (starting with comment or language pragma), m (for starting with
> module), or some whitespace character. So it *might* be feasible to take a
> guess at things. But as I said before: I like UTF-8. Is there anyone out
> there who has a compelling reason for writing their Haskell source in
> EBCDIC?

Probably not EBCDIC. :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think nobody has compelling
reasons for using any other Unicode format than UTF-8.  Although some
systems use UTF-16 (or some approximation thereof) internally, UTF-8
seems to be the universal choice external encoding.  However, there
probably exists a bit of code using Latin-1 and Windows charsets, and
here leading characters aren't going to help you all that much.

I think the safest thing to do is to require source to be ASCII, and
provide escapes for code points >127...

-k