[Haskell-cafe] Setting up cabal on EC2

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 13:12:58 CEST 2011

On Saturday 02 April 2011 11:51:03, Lyndon Maydwell wrote:
> The version of cabal-install on this page seems to be out of date:
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html

So-so. Probably the majority of users are still on ghc-6.*, for them, 0.8.2
is the right choice. The page should have two links, one for ghc-6 and one
for ghc-7, but I guess the Cabal cabal is too busy doing more important
things (like writing code) to always think of updating the web-page.

> Luckily the other releases are listed at
> http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release.
>
> This seems to have solved my issue.

Good.
Just a tip, generally, it's easier to get stuff from hackage,
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal-install
in this case.
You can see the dependencies listed there, and see what version fits best
with what you have. If something depends on an older version of a library
than you have, that's a bad sign. If something depends on a newer version
of time, process, directory, random (a couple of others, basically what ghc
itself was built with), that's a bad sign too.
When in doubt,
$ cabal install whatever --dry-run
If that says it would install a library you already have, be careful, that
may introduce the dreaded diamond dependency problem.