[Haskell-cafe] problems using macports?

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Thu Sep 9 11:43:51 EDT 2010

"S. Doaitse Swierstra" <doaitse at swierstra.net> writes:

> I am in my yearly fightto get a working combination of operating
> system (Snow Leopard), compiler version (6.12) , wxWidgets and
> wxHaskell on my Mac .  After deleting most of my stuff, starting
> afresh, hours of building using macports etc. I finally get the
> message:
>
> loeki:Opgave doaitse$ ghc --make Turtle.hs
> [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( Turtle.hs, Turtle.o )
> Linking Turtle ...
> Undefined symbols:
>   "_iconv_open", referenced from:
>       _hs_iconv_open in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
>      (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open)
>   "_iconv", referenced from:
>       _hs_iconv in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
>      (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_open, _hs_iconv , _hs_iconv_close )
>   "_iconv_close", referenced from:
>       _hs_iconv_close in libHSbase-4.2.0.2.a(iconv.o)
>      (maybe you meant: _hs_iconv_close)
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> loeki:Opgave doaitse$
>

> Some Googling showed me that the same problem has shown up with Yi,
> The solution however is not there. Can someone enlighten me.

Have you played with:

    cabal install --extra-include-dirs=/opt/local/include \
                  --extra-lib-dirs=/opt/local/lib ?

Note that you have to compile all of your macports stuff as 32-bit or
universal (/opt/local/etc/macports/variants.conf, uncomment
"+universal") in order for a 32-bit GHC to link with it.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>