[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: grammar-combinators 0.1 (initial release):
A parsing library of context-free grammar combinators
dominique.devriese at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Sep 8 04:11:15 EDT 2010
The grammar-combinators library is a parsing library employing a novel
grammar representation with explicit recursion. The library features
much of the power of a parser generator like Happy or ANTLR, but with
the library approach and most of the benefits of a parser combinator
library. Grammars and grammar algorithms are defined in a
functional style. The library currently has the following features:
* Grammar specified completely in Haskell using an elegant syntax
* Grammar algorithms implemented in a functional style (no fresh
identifiers), with elegant and meaningful types.
* Multi-backend: use the same grammar with a Packrat, Parsec or
* Grammar transformations: use left-recursive grammars directly thanks
to a powerful grammar transformation library, featuring the
left-corner left-recursion removal transform, a uniform version of
the classic Paull left-recursion removal, and various smaller
transformations (dead-branch removal, dead non-terminal removal,
consecutive epsilon combination, selective unfolding etc.).
* Grammar utility functions: printing of grammars, FIRST-set
calculation, reachability analysis of non-terminals, etc.
* Compile-time transformations (using Template Haskell), given a
suitable definition of the grammar. This is currently limited to a
certain set of transformations.
The library is currently not intended for mainstream use. Its API is
relatively stable, but performance needs to be looked at further.
We are submitting a paper about the ideas behind this library to PADL
2011. A draft is linked on the project's website.
* Project website: http://projects.haskell.org/grammar-combinators/
* Tutorial: http://projects.haskell.org/grammar-combinators/tutorial.html
* Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/grammar-combinators
All comments welcome!
PS. The documentation on hackage currently doesn't build because of
(seemingly) a Hackage dependency problem during the build .
Compiling and generating the documentation locally should work fine. A
version of the docs is available on the project's webpage as a
temporary replacement .
More information about the Haskell-Cafe