[Haskell-cafe] Reference for technique wanted

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 19:10:40 EDT 2010

Well, you can get "A Novel Representation of Lists and Its Application
to the Function 'Reverse'" by John Hughes online published in 1986
which is referenced by Wadler's 1987 "The Concatenate Vanishes" and
references Richard Bird's 1984 paper "Transformational programming and
the paragraph problem" though I'd be quite surprised if that was the
first place the representation appeared in print.