[Haskell-cafe] Edit Hackage

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Sat Oct 30 11:34:00 EDT 2010

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> writes:

> On Saturday 30 October 2010 03:42:27, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
>>> In short, the old technologies of mail and news are technically vastly
>>> superior
     [..]
>> +1; that's pretty much my opinion/arguments as well.
> +1; same here.

I agree too, but not without pointing out that on SO, you'd just be
clicking to vote up, rather than quoting the entire mail and adding one
line.  So there are some advantages.

Ivan L. M. wrote:

> So you'd prefer to have the discussion about a blog post be made
> distinct from the blog post itself?

The problem with blog comments and other "web forums" is, in addition to
the hopeless interfaces they invariably are equipped with, that they are
scattered.  I very rarely check back to follow up on comments (except on
my own site :-), and I rarely bother to register to add my voice.  So,
yes, I would like discussion to take place with some central
coordinaton.

Stack Overflow and Reddit are at least improvements over the traditional
web forums, starting to acquire some of the features Usenet had twenty
years ago.  Much like Planet-style meta-blogs and RSS syndication makes
it liveable to follow blogs.

The important thing is making all the resources visible, and bringing
stuff together.  HWN is great, I don't follow Reddit, but I do click on
the links that look interesting.  Is there something going in the other
direction, pointing SO users to mailing list threads, for instance?
Most web-based email archives seem to suck - where can we point to a nice
URL to get an overview of a -cafe thread?

-k