[Haskell-cafe] Monads and Functions sequence and sequence_

Mark Spezzano mark.spezzano at chariot.net.au
Sat Oct 30 01:07:30 EDT 2010

Hi,

Can somebody please explain exactly how the monad functions "sequence" and "sequence_" are meant to work?

I have almost every Haskell textbook, but there's surprisingly little information in them about the two functions.

From what I can gather, "sequence" and "sequence_" behave differently depending on the types of the Monads that they are processing. Is this correct? Some concrete examples would be really helpful.

Even references to some research papers that explain the rationale behind these (and all the other..?) monad functions would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Spezzano