[Haskell-cafe] Edit Hackage

C. McCann cam at uptoisomorphism.net
Fri Oct 29 19:50:42 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you'd prefer to have the discussion about a blog post be made
> distinct from the blog post itself?  Why not keep them together, also
> so that people finding the blog post from someplace other than reddit
> (e.g. planet.haskell.org) can find them?

Well, I'd most prefer that absolutely everything I'm interested in be
conveniently kept together in one place, of course, but that's not
really practical. Failing that, yes, I think reddit (or something like
it) makes a better medium for discussion of broad topics than does the
comment system on most blogs. Given a shared subject matter, e.g.
Haskell, having one place with discussions about relevant posts from
multiple blogs provides a richer overall context than does any one
individual post.

Anyway, lots of blogs these days have little "submit/discuss this post
on four-hundred-and-thirteen different web 2.0 social news sites!!"
buttons after every post, so it's not exactly hard to find them...

> Neither the Haskell reddit nor Stack Overflow are linked to from
> haskell.org and there is nothing to indicate that they are "official".

I skimmed the last couple months of archives for
beginners at haskell.org, found some straightforward questions, and for
each one put a few keywords into a google search. About half the time
there was a relevant question on Stack Overflow in the first page of
results, at least once actually showing up ahead of the mail message I
was searching based off of.

The idea of "community" is a rather fluid and consensus-based sort of
thing. At some point, visibility is the same thing as being
"official". (And yes, they are actually linked from haskell.org, but
I'm not sure how much that's really worth.)

>  Also, wasn't it Don that started (and is mainly responsible) for
> linking to Haskell articles on reddit?

Maybe. Is there anything related to publicising Haskell that Don
*hasn't* done? :) And I think he's only "mainly responsible" insofar
as he tends to find and submit the good links first.

- C.