[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com idea: strike forces

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Oct 29 04:06:13 EDT 2010

Hey all,

In the recent discussion about the status of email support in Haskell,
the idea of strike forces to tackle these big problems came up. I
think one dilemma people face when trying to coordinate such a venture
is the logistics: where to organize, how to advertise it, where to
have discussions that can be publicly accessible.

This may be something that the Haskellers website can help address.
Here's an idea, please give me any feedback you have (especially the
negative kind):

* Anyone can create a "strike force", by specifying a name for the
strike force and giving a description. That person will automatically
be the administrator for the strike force.

* Anyone on Haskellers can watch a strike force; this will contribute
to its popularity. The most popular strike forces will be shown at the
top of the listings, to give an idea of what projects are active and
which are dead.

* People must apply to be members of a strike force, and be approved
by a strike force admin. Strike force admins also have the right to
add new admins/remove current admins.

* Admins can add links to other websites, list Hackage packages that
are part of this strike force's scope, etc. Ideas on this are welcome.

* There will be some kind of discussion forum. The only thing I know
for certain about this is we want to have a news feed to give updates
on what's happening. I'm open to suggestions on what to implement
here, but some ideas:

** A request/bug tracker.
** Free-form message boards. Possibly requires moderation for non-members.
** I'm not certain if it should just be a single thread, multi
discussion threads, hierarchical discussions like Reddit, etc.

Please let me know what you think. And if you think this is a foolish
idea that won't help the community out, please let me know that too.

Michael