[Haskell-cafe] who's in charge?

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 20:48:12 EDT 2010

> There is this one posters who likes to repeatedly point out how none of his
> programs ever needed email, so how could it be a problem then. Well good for
> him, but in my experience it's needed.

This is the main issue I think people had with your original posts. You say
"good for him, but I need it now", and others have said (approximately, with
varying niceness) "we're sorry for you, but we haven't need it so far". You
may have had words put in your mouth, but suggesting that the community's
approach "isn't working" (your actual words) simply because something _you_
need isn't available (or of sufficient quality to you) is bound to cause
some hostility.

Saying something along the lines of:

I noticed that there isn't a fully functional mail library on par with X in
> language Y, and need one for project Z (insert motivating description here).
> I think this is a useful library because applications A, B, C could all
> benefit from it, and we may attract users from other languages too. I had a
> friend who told me he didn't use Haskell for his latest project because it
> had no mail library, too.

Would anyone be interested in a project for a full-featured mail library? I
> don't think I'm capable of writing the whole thing myself, but I've started
> a github project at URL and would be happy to collaborate in IRC channel
> #channel on freenode.

Would have resulted in a very different response.