[Haskell-cafe] libffi mystery

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Thu Oct 28 11:43:47 EDT 2010

Hi again

This is what happens when you write actual for-users for-running
programs, I guess. It's been a while...

I've been writing some software with Network.CGI etc, which we
run on the deparmental web server for my students to use. But
we just had a bit of an upgrade on the system, and now (once
cabal was properly installed) everything compiles again but
nothing works.

The reason appears to be that the executables now depend on a
dynamic library

   libffi.so.5

which is not (and I am told cannot become) available on our
web server.

The current workaround is to compile with 6.8.2, which is
survivable and will hopefully get me through the semester, but
not ideal.

Is there some way I can get some more static linking to happen?
I did poke about online a bit and found some remarks to the
effect that GHC got so much more portable after switching to the
dynamic libffi. That sounds great, but tough luck for me.

So, being both powerless and clueless, I can only ask:

   how hosed am I?

I'd be grateful for any glimmers of light.

Thanks

Conor