[Haskell-cafe] Re: Current thinking on CompositionAsDot issue in haskell prime?

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 10:42:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM, John Smith <voldermort at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/10/2010 10:15, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:
>>
>> Hi haskellers.
>>
>> Reading through the Haskell Prime suggestions, one that caught my eye is
>> the CompositionAsDot issue.
>>
>> I'm especially thinking of the Pro issue:
>> * Paves the way for using . as the selection operator in improved record
>> or module systems

Here's the wiki page:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/CompositionAsDot

Personally I think function composition is what Haskell is all about
and it is absolutely essential that the syntax for it be lightweight.
If we think using . as qualification as well as composition is
confusing, I'm much more inclined to say using it as qualification was
a mistake.

The comment on the wiki page about $ being more common in reality is
not even close to true for my own code, and I don't think I'm unusual
in that regard.