[Haskell-cafe] Current thinking on CompositionAsDot issue in haskell prime?

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 04:15:08 EDT 2010

Hi haskellers.

Reading through the Haskell Prime suggestions, one that caught my eye is the
CompositionAsDot issue.

I'm especially thinking of the Pro issue:
* Paves the way for using . as the selection operator in improved record or
module systems

I think I recognize this issue from common lisp.  Basically the code becomes
verbose because accessor functions usually need to redundantly encode the
name of the module or struct in its name.  The alternative is to require
users to import qualified, and that doesn't deal with the occasional
intra-module collision.

This is a typical large-software-system issue and it annoys me a little that
Haskell seems to have inherited the problems from common lisp.

I worry that in large systems, a very conservative coding standard is needed
with quite verbose naming conventions as that's the only safe way to avoid
these conflicts in a large system while allowing refactoring code etc.

What is the current thinking on this issue?

Thanks,
Alexander