[Haskell-cafe] On being called a troll

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Oct 28 04:01:53 EDT 2010

Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> writes:

>> I have posted to this list for over 3 years now and until lately it was an
>> enlightening experience. The responses to my questions have usually been
>> helpful and friendly.

Right - in most cases, the Haskell community is fanatically non-hostile.
At least compared to other mailing lists or newsgroups I've subscribed
to.

> I'm in favor of keeping personal accusations off of this list. Calling
> someone a troll on a public list isn't really helpful to the conversation.

+1

I think the trollishness refers to somebody with three years experience
with Haskell and this list, insisting that there should be a centralized
leadership, or that somebody ought to commission some particular
functionality.  This shows a surprising lack of understanding of how an
open-source community works, which is easyly interpreted as trolling
(i.e. posting just to provoke a response).

> In extreme cases, I think some folks have the ability to moderate the
> list - so it isn't like we need to resort to public personal attacks
> to keep the discussion productive.

>> I am 42 now and am surprised how much this still hurts, after all I survived
>> the schoolyard bullies and who would have thought that these times would
>> ever come again?

One difference is that online memory is very short.  When you ask
another question, this thread will be forgotten, and focus will be back
on subject, not person.

>> I urge you, my fellow haskellers, to show some restraint when we are dealing
>> with one another on this list. And to think twice before you launch a
>> personal attack.

I replied in this thread - I hope you didn't find my replies offensive,
but if I were, I apologize.

-k