[Haskell-cafe] Re: Does it deserve to be a hackage package?

Andy Stewart lazycat.manatee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 05:16:01 EDT 2010

Christopher Done <chrisdone at googlemail.com> writes:

> On 27 October 2010 10:13, Dmitry V'yal <akamaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>> While ago I had a question about opening the url in the default browser from
>> haskell program. I didn't get any immediate answers so I wrote my own
>> solution. On Linux it uses xdg-open and on Windows - ShellExecute Api.
>
>> Does it deserve to be a hackage package?
>
> If it's not in an existing small library, yes. If I have to have a
> dependency on gtk2hs just to do that, I'd rather have a small library.
> Does it work on OS X? If not, I'm sure someone would submit a patch
> for that. This can also be used for opening the file browser and such,
> right?
It's APIs in GIO library (a sub-library in gtk2hs), you just need depend
on GIO don't need depend any other library.

Dmitry, it's unnecessary since GIO can do better with same experience
both Windows and Linux, don't need any external program help.
Infact, GIO not just call default browser for url, it can call any
program to open any format.

Example, you install many different PDF-Viewer in your system, it will
return a Application list for *.pdf format...etc.

Good news is, gtk2hs-0.12.0 has ready for release, we will wait one week,
if no user report any bug of gtk2hs darcs, we will release.
Then you can use it.

Cheers,

  -- Andy