[Haskell-cafe] In what language...?

Lauri Alanko la at iki.fi
Mon Oct 25 18:01:04 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:10:56PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> Type theory doesn't actually interest me, I just wandered what the
> hell all the notation means.

That sounds like an oxymoron. How could you possibly learn what the
notation "means" without learning about the subject that the notation
is about? That's like saying "I'm not actually interested in calculus,
I'd just like to know what the hell all these funny S-like symbols
mean".

For what it's worth, I was once in a similar situation (modulo the
interest), and sent a similar query:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.functional/browse_frm/thread/bb82dcec463fd776

Following that, Pierce sent me a draft of his (then upcoming) book,
and I found it extremely accessible at my level (at least compared to
the other book I studied, Mitchell's "Foundations", which, though full
of good information, was a bit hard to digest). So I will add voice to
those recommending TAPL.

Cheers,

Lauri