[Haskell-cafe] In what language...?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:31:59 EDT 2010

On 25 October 2010 22:10, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> If I were to somehow obtain this book, would it actually make any sense
> whatsoever? I've read too many maths books which assume you already know
> truckloads of stuff, and utterly fail to make sense until you do. (Also,
> being a somewhat famous book, it's presumably extremely expensive...)
>
> Type theory doesn't actually interest me, I just wandered what the hell all
> the notation means.

Its a clearly written book, though you would have to read it fairly
diligently and possibly work through some of the exercises to get it
to make sense. If you've no interest in type systems then you don't
have a need for it.

Such notations are generally typeset with LaTeX's 'Semantic' package -
you could look at the guide to this package by Peter Møller Neergaard
and Arne John Glenstrup, it might not help much (but it will be
cheaper).