[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: iteratee-compress 0.1.1

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 19:59:22 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 15:03 -0400, wren ng thornton wrote:
> On 10/24/10 7:09 AM, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
> > Iteratee-compress provides compressing and decompressing enumerators
> > including flushing. Currently only gzip is provided but at least bzip
> > is planned.
> >
> > Changes from previous version:
> >   - Independent from zlib library (Haskell one, not C)
> >   - Allow hand-flushing the contents (from outside).
> >   - Fix potential memory-leak
> >
> > Next goals:
> >   - BZip support
> >   - Generic interface for flushing
>
> Have you thought about adding LZO[1] support? There'd be the usual
> licensing issues for GPL, but it offers a realtime alternative to gzip
> (i.e., decompression time is hidden by I/O latency) with comparable
> compression performance.
>

> [1] http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/

Currently I thought only about bzip2/gzip. Probably .xz support would
follow if any.

LZO, as you said, is on GPL-2. While I have no problems with GPL-2 some
potential users may (Haskell tend to be BSD3 community). Does anyone
knows if conditional compilation solves problem? In my interpretation of
GPL-2 yes but I'm not sure.

Regards