[Haskell-cafe] vector-space and standard API for vectors

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 17:19:24 EDT 2010

Just out of curiosity, why do you (and many others I've seen with similar
proposals) talk about additive monoids? are they somehow fundamentally
different from multiplicative monoids? Or is it just a matter of notation?
When I was playing with building an algebraic hierarchy, I picked a
"neutral" operator for my monoids (I actually started at magma, but it's the
same thing) and then introduced the addition and multiplication distinction
at semirings, as it seemed pointless to distinguish them until you have a
notion of a distributive law between the two.