[Haskell-cafe] The Haskell theme

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 10:44:56 EDT 2010

I agree with Mark that we shouldn't try to over-constrain things.
However, basic startup-resources are perfectly fine.  It gives a good
default for people who don't really like (web-)design, and can serve
as a baseline for others.  I.e., encourage consistency but don't
enforce it.

On 12 October 2010 22:17, Christopher Done <chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:

> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/3577/ideasv.png

I mostly like it, with the following remarks:

  - Only blue for a colour scheme is too cold.  This is why I used
this orange-red for the new wiki.  There are other ways to do this, of
course.  I'd just like to encourage people to not only use blueish
tones.

  - The wiki edit links in your sketch are very dark.  I prefer the
light grey as used in the new wiki, because it doesn't stand out that
much.

> To download the Inkscape SVG grab it here:
> http://chrisdone.com/designs/haskell-theme-1.svg
>
> I don't know what I was thinking here but it seemed like fun:
> http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1827/rect5935.png

With a bit of tuning, this can look nice.

> I get bored really quickly, I was alright for 15 minutes and then I
> lost the will to point and click. Anyway, I was thinking rather than
> trying to come up with a brilliant all-encompassing design, we could
> agree on conventions:
>
> * colours
> * headings
> * spacing
> * links
> * the particular incarnation of the logo
>
> etc.
>
> I'm pretty happy to go with the colour theme of
> http://new-www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell
>
> Haskellers.com also makes me think we need an umbrella theme that
> encompasses all Haskell sites.
>
> Maybe we should do a theme poll like the logo poll. I don't know.
> Regardless, I think we do need to decide on something and stick with
> it. Should this discussion be taken to the web devel mailing list? Is
> that appropriate?

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.