[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com skills list moderation?

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Oct 20 09:12:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Ben Millwood <haskell at benmachine.co.uk> wrote:
>> Robotics and Automation
>
> Would be tempted to drop "Automation" from here.

That name was deliberately chosen, and is appropriate for people in the area,
http://www.ieee-ras.org/

I have my own opinions on a lot of these tags, but haskell-cafe
doesn't seem like the right forum for this polling. A difficulty is
that while we may all be qualified to debate the merits of
"Mathematics" as a discriminative label for programmers, some of these
tags (such as the one above) are domain specific. We don't want people
outside of an area of interest governing name choices that lessen the
value of the tags.

As a strawman for people to beat up on, what if each tag linked to a
wiki description? Such a description could include a couple sentences
of exposition, and perhaps links to relevant resources.

Another alternate is that if a tag becomes *too* popular (i.e. more
than x% of haskellers check it off), then perhaps there should be a
poll to have it removed and its spirit embedded in the general site
text. Tags like "Algorithmic Problem Solving" might fall into this
category.

Anthony