[Haskell-cafe] Are newtypes optimised and how much?

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:12:27 EDT 2010

So I have the following nice things:

{-# LANGUAGE GeneralizedNewtypeDeriving, OverloadedStrings #-}

import Data.String

newtype Foo = Foo { unFoo :: String } deriving (IsString)

x :: Foo
x = "Hello, World!"

newtype Bar = Bar { unBar :: Integer } deriving
(Eq,Show,Num,Integral,Real,Enum,Ord)

y :: Bar
y = 2

I can write literals and they will be converted to the type I wanted
with no extra verbiage needed.

Questions (I'm talking about GHC when I refer to compilation):

(1) Are fromString and fromIntegral ran at compile time? I don't think
that this is the case. I think they are just translated to fromString
"Hello, World!" and fromIntegral 2 verbatim.
(2) Regardless of this, the implementation of fromString and
fromIntegral is essentially a no-op, it's just fromString = Foo,
fromIntegral = Bar, which is in turn essentially fromString = id,
fromIntegral = id, as far as I understand it. It's purely compile
time. But supposing I write:

fromIntegral (fromIntegral (2::Integer) :: Bar) :: Integer

Is this at the end of the day equal to just (2::Integer)? Thinking
simple-mindedly, I would say, yes. The compiler knows that
fromIntegral :: Integer -> Bar == id, and that fromIntegral :: Bar ->
Integer == id (right?). But is that the case? Perhaps the type class
methods have some dictionary and thus cannot be inlined, or maybe that
doesn't matter?

At the end of the day what motivated me to ask these questions it that
I like very much defining newtypes for most of the types I use, I have
completely forgotten about `type' aliasing. I'm completely happy to
write Foo and unFoo all over the place to aid my type correctness, but
I want a nice generic way to convert to/from newtypes but keeping it a
compile-time concept. Sometimes I have unThisThat, unTheOther,
unThoseWhoShantBeNamed, etc. and it I could just use fromIntegral and
fromString then that would be super.

Also, is 'map unFoo' optimised away at compile-time, too? I think that
it would be compiled to map id. So it would still wrap a thunk around
each cons. How far does it go?

So, if I go around using fromIntegral/fromString (etc. for other
newtype types), is it still kept compile time? After having newtypes
catch dozens of type mismatches that otherwise wouldn't unified
happily but were completely wrong (e.g. wrong argument order), I've
found newtype to be an indispensable part of Haskell and of writing a
large piece of software.

Cheers