[Haskell-cafe] Re: MonadCatchIO, finally and the error monad

Sterling Clover gershomb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 07:34:59 EDT 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Michael Snoyman wrote:

> Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'm in a position to take
> over maintainership of another library. However, I think that my
> original suggestion of moving all of the exception-handling functions
> into the type class itself would solve the current issue; is there a
> reason not to do so? I'm still not sure what to do about ContT.

As I posted some time ago, the scheme community has long know that genuine unwind-protect (i.e. bracket) is impossible in the presence of call/CC. I suggest that the instance simply be removed from the catchIO libraries to avoid confusion, and that the reason for its omission be documented.

Cheers,
Sterl.