[Haskell-cafe] Re: A rant against the blurb on the Haskell front page

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Oct 17 14:32:09 EDT 2010

> Good start, if only the "advanced" were replaced with something more
> characteristic, like "lazy", or "statically typed". Which, BTW, both do not
> appear in the whole blurb, even though they are *the* characteristics of
> Haskell, lazyness being even something that sets it apart from most other
> languages.

AFAIK laziness is a property of the major implementations of Haskell,
but not really of the language itself.  All I see in the Haskell report
points at it being "applicative", "call by name", but nowhere does the
report seem to mandate a lazy strategy.  It's just that being purely
functional implies that the compiler is free to use laziness.

        Stefan