[Haskell-cafe] Re: Should Yesod.Mail be a separate package?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Sun Oct 17 11:14:41 EDT 2010

OK, I've put together a new repository on github[1]. I've modified the
original code from Yesod to now include support for
multipart/alternative, and to only create a multipart when there
really are multiple parts. I've done some simple tests, and it seems
to work just fine. Now a question for everyone interested in this
library is: the API is currently very low-level. Should this package
include higher-level wrappers?

I'm sure people would love to see built-in support for serving over
SMTP, but I think that's more appropriate for a different package.
Proper SMTP support will also include SSL/TLS support, which will
require even more dependencies.

Another possible helper package (an idea from Jeremy Shaw) would be
using Pandoc to automatically create multipart messages from markdown.
Once again, I won't include support in the main package because it
will increase dependencies.

Anyway, I'd like to get a first version released within the week so it
doesn't hold up Yesod 0.6, but the beauty of having it as a separate
package is we can always make changes later.

Michael

[1] http://github.com/snoyberg/mime-mail