[Haskell-cafe] Strict Core?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 16 14:27:10 EDT 2010

  On 16/10/2010 09:57 AM, Max Bolingbroke wrote:
> I do not have plans to add it. I think it would be worth it - perhaps
> worth a few % points in runtime - but I've started researching
> supercompilation instead, which has more impressive effects :-)

 From what I've seen, strict core makes several things simpler and
easier to do. So it's not just about how much it speeds up the compiled
code; it has the potential to make the compiler implementer's job easier.

> Simon has said he is keen to use it though - it's just a big
> engineering task to replumb GHC to use it, so perhaps this is a
> project for an enterprising student.

...easier, that is, if you were writing it from scratch. Of course, any
non-trivial alteration to a large existing codebase is usually a fair
bit of work, but *especially* if you're changing really fundamental
assumptions that pervade the entire thing...