[Haskell-cafe] Strict Core?

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 16 04:57:40 EDT 2010

Hi Gregory,

On 15 October 2010 22:27, Gregory Crosswhite <gcross at phys.washington.edu> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, are there any plans for GHC to eventually use the Strict
> Core language described in
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mb566/papers/tacc-hs09.pdf?

I do not have plans to add it. I think it would be worth it - perhaps
worth a few % points in runtime - but I've started researching
supercompilation instead, which has more impressive effects :-)

Simon has said he is keen to use it though - it's just a big
engineering task to replumb GHC to use it, so perhaps this is a
project for an enterprising student.

That said, I've been told that UHC's core language uses the ideas from
Strict Core, and they have/had a student at Utretch (Tom Lokhorst) who
was working on implementing optimisations like arity raising and deep
unboxing for the language.

Cheers,
Max