[Haskell-cafe] An interesting paper on VM-friendly GC

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 15 18:15:55 EDT 2010

  Somebody showed me this the other day, and I thought it was interesting:

http://www.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/f034-hertz.pdf

Basically, "we designed a garbage collector which tries to avoid
touching memory pages that have been swapped out to disk just because we
need to do a GC sweep". Which is a pretty obvious thing to do, when you
think about it, and has several obvious performance implications. Maybe
we should think about how GHC handles this?

On the other hand, their implementation uses a modified Linux kernel,
and no sane person is going to recompile their OS kernel with a custom
patch just to run Haskell applications, so we can't do quite as well as
they did. But still, and interesting read...