[Haskell-cafe] downloading GHC

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Oct 15 14:47:58 EDT 2010

Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> writes:

>> First, I go to http://haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_3.html,
>> which kindly suggests to get the Haskell Platform instead.

>> Then, at http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/linux.html, I'm told that I
>> first need GHC, and pointed back to the GHC download page.

> Linux users don't have easy binary installers, usually. What can we do
> about this bootstrapping problem?

Uh, AFAIC, it's only a documentation bug - the GHC page seems to say
that GHC comes with HP, the HP page tells to go get GHC first.  I'd just
change it to something like:

GHC:  Click here to download... then go see Haskell Platform for the
standard set of libraries.

HP: Go to GHC HQ and get GHC, then make sure to come back here for the
libraries.

(Assuming I understand how this is set up - I usually just get stuff
from my distribution, and didn't come around to installing the HP)

-k