[Haskell-cafe] Re: Who is afraid of arrows, was Re: ANNOUNCE: Haskell XML Toolbox Version 9.0.0

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Fri Oct 15 07:03:44 EDT 2010

On 15 Oct 2010, at 10:44, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:

> Personally, I would be much happier with the slogan "HXT = XML
> transformations with filters". Browsing through Manuel's thesis, I
> discover that your combinators are quite slick ( >>> , choiceA , when,
> guards ), it's just that they are a very specialized subset of the
> general arrow combinators. I think that dropping the arrows and
> rebranding your nice set of combinators as "filter combinators" would
> greatly improve the library.

But then, HXT's filter combinators would return to being rather like
HaXml's filter combinators, where the concept was first introduced.
Personally, I'm very happy that customers avoid HXT (due to the
complexity of the arrow interface), because that means more customers
for HaXml...  :-)

Regards,
     Malcolm

P.S. Coming soon in the next release of HaXml: full support for xmlns
namespaces, and an XSDToHaskell translator.