[Haskell-cafe] Make your Darcs repositories hashed?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 12 09:54:51 EDT 2010

Hey Haskellers (and darcs-users CC'ed)

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 23:08:12 +0000, Jason Dagit wrote:
> I answered you immediate question in a different email.  Now I'll do a bit
> of explanation on why people want hashed.

Thanks to Jason for the explanation.

I've linked to it from http://wiki.darcs.net/RepositoryFormats so that
we'll have an easier time in the future encouraging people to move to
the hashed format.

Also: If you don't have darcs 2.4.4, you can upgrade to the hashed
format by doing:

  cd /srv/code/myrepo
  darcs get . ~/myrepo-hashed

  rm -rf ~/myrepo-hashed/_darcs/prefs
  cp -R _darcs/prefs ~/myrepo-hashed/_darcs/prefs

  mv ~/myrepo-hashed/_darcs _darcs.new
  mv _darcs _darcs.old
  mv _darcs.new _darcs

  rm -rf ~/myrepo-hashed
  rm -rf _darcs.old

I may put this on the wiki. We had pruned this sort of thing away in
favour of the optimize --upgrade command, in the interest of tidiness,
but getting recent Darcs into people's hands takes a while.

Also, the maintainers behind code.haskell.org are aware about the need
for a Darcs 2.4.4 upgrade (I filed a request on 15 Sep).  We're looking
into an easy way to do this on Debian Etch.

See also
--------
* http://wiki.darcs.net/RepositoryFormats
  The three formats in a nutshell

* http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsTwo#hashed-repository-format
  More about hashed repositories (covers a lot of the same stuff Jason did)

* http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2010-August/024941.html
  Discussion on eventually retiring support for old-fashioned repositories

  I can guarantee that at least Darcs 2.5 (the upcoming release) will
  continue to provide full support for old-fashioned repositories. But
  they are going away eventually so that we can focus on making Darcs
  better.

Thanks!