[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com recent changes (and I need some volunteers)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 11 08:44:35 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 13:14, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
>> From: Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
>>
>> Also, now 10 random profiles will be displayed on the homepage. Only
>> "verified users" will be displayed here. I'm also considering adding a
>> new status as well: real picture, so that only people with real images
>> (not cartoons, not identicons) can show up on the homepage. I think
>> this might give a more professional feel. Thoughts?
>
> I agree that it would be nice to use only real pictures, however I wouldn't
> want to leave out those who choose not to use any image at all.
> What about a site policy that user images must be real pictures (if they
> exist), and violations can be flagged/blocked?  Although, I don't know how
> this would interact with using OpenID, which appears to be most of the users
> currently displaying an identicon.

I think it would be wrong to have haskellers.com impose restrictions
on what image I put on gravatar.  My image on gravatar pops up in
numerous other sites (I believe stackoverflow, ohloh, flickr, etc) and
I'm not necessarily happy with putting my photo everywhere, even
though I'd be fine with putting it on haskellers.com.

So, instead I'd like to see the use of gravatar become optional.  Then
if haskellers.org could require a photo, and I could simply choose not
to get my cartoon image from gravatar.

An obvious extension would be to allow me to get the image from other
sources in the future, maybe an option to grab a picture out of an
album on Facebook, or Flickr?

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org